With spring officially here, variations of muesli make a light, healthy addition to the High5Kitchen repertoire of breakfast meals. Enjoy!
- 2/3 cup thick organic oats
- 1/4 cup hulled sunflower seeds
- 4 T dried orange peel, diced
- 4 T dried unsulfured raisins
- 2 T dried goji berries (optional)
- 2 unsulfured Medjool dates, diced
- 4 Brazil nuts, chopped
- 2 T organic almonds, chopped
- 1 organic apple (Granny Smith) grated
Combine in large bowl and mix thoroughly. Serve with almond milk.
Buy organic apples as conventional ones top the Dirty Dozen List (Visit Shoppers Guide to Pesticides in Produce).
Buy only unsulfured dried fruit. (Visit The Health Risks Of Sulfur Dioxide In Dried Fruits for more information).
I always make my own orange peel; simply wash organic oranges and peel with vegetable peeler. Stack peels and slice lengthwise, let the peels dry in a colander (takes about 1 to 2 days). If you get into the habit of peeling organic lemons and oranges before you juice you’ll have plenty of peel on hand and peels–like cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger and vanilla extract- provide a subtle taste of sweetness when desired.
When cutting dates, I first slice through a lemon or orange I’m going to use. The acidic acids from the fruit prevent the dates from sticking to my knife. I also squeeze a little juice over the diced dates so the individual pieces do not stick to each other.
Sprinkle a little lemon or orange juice on the grated apple to keep the grated apple from oxidizing and turning brown.
Almond milk can curdle when using citrus juices so use sparingly.
Health Benefits: For health benefits, history and everything you’ve ever wanted to know about sunflower seeds visit WHFoods: Sunflower seeds.
- Our Perfect Veggie Burger – takes a good thirty minutes to prepare but double the batch and freeze and play with the spices!
- Arugula, Grape, and Sunflower Seed Salad Recipe – although it’s early for grapes, Placerville Natural Foods Co-op had some wonderful blueberries just in, which made a delicious substitute for the grapes.
- Homemade Sunflower Seed Butter, Extra Creamy – don’t forget to roast your sunflower seeds first!