When you are bone tired and hungry this is the 5 minute fix. I always have these ingredients on hand, especially if we are hiking that day. After an 8 or 9 mile hike the last thing I want is to fuss around in the kitchen. All I need are black beans (already cooked beans or in a pinch, one 15 ounce can), 1 bag of organic frozen corn and a high quality salsa.
Serves two really hungry people (four people on a normal day). Add mixed green salad with slices of orange for dessert.
- Black beans 2 cups, organic already made or 1 can from a BPA free can (Eden is a good choice);
- Sweet corn, organic 10 ounces (frozen corn is one of the few vegetables which retains its flavor quite well)
- Salsa 14 ounces (there are several great choices. I sometimes use Wildwood Emerald Valley Organic Salsa)
- Organic corn tortillas (optional)
- Brush tortillas with olive oil, add a pinch of Mountain Mama’s Tex Mex Mix if you’ve made some; otherwise freshly ground coarse salt and peppercorns are fine. Bake in 350 F oven until crisp (about 5 minutes)
- In large pot, combine and heat beans, corn and salsa.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and crumbled organic corn tortillas.