There is no better way to add flavor to a dish than by fresh herbs and spices or freshly ground herbs and spices.
Over the next few months I will post my favorite herb and spice combinations–some subtle, some spicy, some hot but all are made from combinations of whole seeds, peppercorns, flakes, dried peels and leaves.
For a spicy combo try High5′s Mountain Mama’s Gritty Herb Mix. Combine the following and store in a jar. When ready to use pulverize whole spices and herbs by hand using a mortar and pestle or grind in pepper grinder.
- Himalayan pink rock salt – 1 T
- Coarse sea salt crystals – 2 T
- black and red peppercorns – 3 T
- mustard seeds – 1 T
- coriander seeds – 1 T
- roasted onion flakes – 2 T
- roasted garlic flakes – 1 T
- Chili Pepper flakes – 1 T
- Dried Lemon Peel – 1 T