Quick & Easy
Quick & Easy is meant to inspire—look around your kitchen, check your pantry, browse the market–grab what’s in season and create!
Chickpeas with Roasted Vegetables
30-40 minutes prep and cook
Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Chop root vegetables into one inch pieces equaling 6 cups (here I have used carrots, beets, potatoes sweet potatoes and turnips but any of your root vegetables will do). In a large bowl combine vegetables with 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil, fresh ground pepper and 2 grinds of cracked salt. Thoroughly mix vegetables using hands. Spread vegetables on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook ten minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, in the same bowl add 2 cups cooked and drained chickpeas with fresh ground pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of red chili flakes and mix. Turn roasted vegetables and add chickpeas. Roast an additional ten minutes.
- Quarter two yellow onions and skin 8 garlic cloves (smash garlic cloves with knife to release sulfur compounds). Let sit an additional 5 minutes, turn root vegetables and chickpeas and add onions and garlic. Continue roasting for final ten to fifteen minutes.
- While vegetables are finishing their last roast, triple wash 10 cups of baby greens, dry and chop. Place greens in bowl. Whisk 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice, 1 teaspoon maple syrup with 1 teaspoon dijon mustard. Add dressing to greens and massage thoroughly. This cuts the volume of greens down to about 4-6 cups.
- Plate: Place greens on plate. Check vegetables, which should be done (30-40 minutes). Top greens with vegetables, fresh ground pepper, final squeeze of lemon juice and one grind of fresh cracked salt.
Related High5Kitchen Links on Chickpeas
- Chickpeas from Scratch – High5Kitchen’s Basics 101
- Removing Chickpea Skins – Do you have to?
- High5Kitchen Hummus, the Middle Eastern Way
- Chickpeas with Roasted Vegetables
- Chickpeas Cassoulet with Basil, Parsley and Thyme
- Breadcrumb Recipe for Chickpea Cassoulet
- Canned Chickpeas – What to look for when buying Chickpeas in a can
- Moroccan Carrot and Chickpea Salad (101cookbooks.com)
- Crunchy Harissa Chickpeas (freernutrition.typepad.com)
- On the Menu: Chickpea Spread For Bruschetta(herlifestyled.wordpress.com)