At the High5Kitchen I use either 100% whole grain breads I’ve made, 100% whole grain breads from local bakeries or 100% whole grain organic breads from companies such as Alvarado St Bakery.
Did you know?
- Labels such as “12 grain” and “made with whole wheat” can be deceptive because such products can be made using refined grains and only minimal amounts of whole grains.
- If you want to make sure you are reaping the benefits of a “whole” grain bread, check the ingredients for 100% whole wheat or 100% whole grains. Some bread companies are disclosing the percentage of “whole” vs “refined” grains used in their breads and although 100% is best, we support companies that engage in truthful labeling.
Bread Crumb Recipe:
Makes 2 cups plus Bread crumbs
Preheat oven 350 degrees F
- Cut and cube 8 slices of bread. Put in large bowl, add herbs, if desired (1/2 t each of thyme, basil, garlic powder, dried onion flakes with fresh ground pepper), 1 t olive oil and mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes or until brown and crisp, checking and turning every 5 minutes or so. While you can prepare bread crumbs in a skillet I prefer the oven as this method allows me to use less oil and obtain a lighter, fresher taste.
- Process cubes in blender or coffee grinder or simply crumble in hands.
Bread crumbs stored in glass containers with tight-fitting lids are good for up to one week in the refrigerator.