Health Perks & the Research
Kale is one of the world’s healthiest vegetables. Rich in compounds—like other cruciferous vegetables—its high concentrations of vitamins, minerals, fibers, omega-three fatty acids, glucosinolates, carotenoids, isothiocyanates, sulforaphanes and more have potent cancer prevention qualities.
- Study finds that kale, a low-oxalate vegetable, exhibits excellent calcium absorbability —better than milk.
- Powerful Cancer Protection, Healthy Eye and Heart Benefits found in multiple studies.
- Studies find that bioactive dietary components hold great potential not only in the prevention but also in the therapy of a wide variety of cancers by altering various epigenetic modifications.
At the High5Kitchen we eat kale raw and cooked and stay current on goitrogen research. For more information check out the sites below.
- Consumption of raw broccoli results in faster absorption, higher bioavailability, and higher peak plasma amounts of sulforaphane, compared to cooked broccoli.
- Want to know about “goitrogen” and “goitrogenic foods?” Check out The World’s Healthiest Foods.
Background & Nutritional Information
- For techniques to make Kale a tender salad green check out High5Kitchen’s Kale-Featured Recipe, Kale with Mandarins, Raisins & Pine Nuts .
- Rich in compounds—like other cruciferous vegetables—kale’s high concentrations of vitamins, minerals, fibers, omega-three fatty acids, glucosinolates, carotenoids, isothiocyanates and sulforaphanes have potent cancer prevention qualities.
- Kale is low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol. It is a good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Folate, Iron, Magnesium and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Potassium, Copper and Manganese. Source for more benefits.
Serving 1 cup chopped raw
- Calories 33; Total Fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 29mg;
- Total Carb 7 g; Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugar 0g; Protein 2.2g.
- Vitamins A (206% DV), C (134% DV), E (0%DV), K (684% DV);
- Thiamin (5%DV); Riboflavin (5%DV); Niacin (3%DV); B6(9%DV);
- Folate (5%DV); Pantothenic Acid (1%DV); Calcium 9%DV);
- Iron (6%DV); Magnesium (6%DV); Phosphorous (4% DV);
- Potassium(9%DV); Sodium (1%DV); Zinc (2%DV);
- Copper (10%DV); Manganese (26% DV) Selenium (1%DV); and
- 121 mg of Total Omega 3 Fatty Acids; 92 Total Omega 6 Fatty Acids.